Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sustainable Faith

sustainable faith
Faith for When You Step Out of the Boat and Sink
Peter saw Jesus walking on the water and immediately cried out, "Lord, if it is you, command me to walk on the water too!" And so Jesus did and Peter stepped out of the boat, and walked on the water, but the storm distracted him, and he began to sink and Jesus replied, "Oh ye of little faith" as he reached down and pulled Peter to safety.
Matthew 14: 27-33

Faith means you have to step out of the boat at some point. Many of us are well acquainted with stepping out of the boat while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, but what about when you step out of the boat and the water is rougher than you anticipated? What about when you step out of the boat and the cancer returns, or the court doesn't put the baby up for adoption. What about when you are standing there on the water broken hearted and empty handed? What then?

Brokenness requires faith too. The faith to continue to trust God through the pain and darkness, knowing He still has a plan and purpose for calling you out of the boat, knowing that at some point His hand will reach down and pick you up. These are the times we build sustaining faith, it isn't mountain moving faith, it is faith that ties the anchor to the boat and secures it in the mud below. Faith that isn't going anywhere no matter what God, man or even the devil has in store. Sustaining faith is the kind of faith that we need for most battles in life.

When things don't go as planned, sustaining faith gets us through the grief. Sustaining faith needs to be in our spiritual storehouse, because life brings unexpected trials and hurricanes. But sustaining faith can only be grown through trials which means that we have to trust God to take us through trials. So then, for every season and trial there is indeed a purpose...it is building sustaining faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8