Thursday, August 22, 2013

This Weeks Projects/Soap, Jam, Donuts,Gummies and a Muller Monster!

muller monster
Muller Monster
 
We did some fun projects around the house this week. We are studying recycling and care taking with I Heart God's Green Earth (Available in my Amazon Store at the bottom of my homepage). My son made this awesome monster puppet with a Muller Yogurt container!
 
fabric softener
Homemade Softener
 
We are also working our way through Apologia Botany and we came up with this fantastic homemade lavender fabric softener recipe. You can check it out over at Considering frugal. We are so excited to find a homemade liquid softener that smells good. Apologia curriculum has a great soap making project listed at the end of chapter one, but we have already done it so we moved on to liquid soaps! Apologia Botany is also available in my Amazon Store!
 
donuts
Donuts from a Can
 
 We made homemade Donuts! Cheap canned biscuits fried in oil.
 
jam
Jam
 
 Raspberry Hibiscus Tea Jam
 
candy
A Plastic Egg Carton Makes a Great Mold!
 
And finally, and I do mean finally, my son earned his Jello badge! This is actually a picture of homemade gummy candy. This is how he earned his badge. I use Jello to teach the principle of dissolving a solid into a liquid to make a solution. He has been trying to pass this test for a while now. By making gummy candy he was able to sample the un dissolved solid... and bingo when we were finished he proved that he got it by finally making a successful batch of Jello. I actually gave him a sticker as a badge.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.