Thursday, August 15, 2013

Organizing a School Year

Organizing a School Year
How I Organize My School Year
I organize our school year in a sort of Waldorf format using the four seasons to provide our basic structure for the school year. This of course begins with the planning of our Spring and Fall gardens and the keeping of them, not that we are that great at gardening, but we plan a seasonal garden for the purpose of learning and then we plan our canning and preserving around the harvest as well, again often purchasing our produce. While we aren't that great at gardening, our school structure is very Waldorf in that it is planned around the rhythm of our home and what our goals might be at the time. This year we are try to insure that our home is sustainable so much of our seasonal projects revolve around this concept.

I divide our formal school year into two semesters with the Fall and Spring seasons and holidays in mind and then a few projects and field trips end up on the summer session list either because they apply to the season or for practicality reasons such as vacation or time constraints.

Development and Needs

Having this structure in place, the first thing I consider when planning a school year is child development, interests and what we have already studied. For example, we have studied Apologia Astronomy and Ocean Life and now the kids are showing a huge interest in plant life. This fits nicely with our new love of hiking and our plans for hiking the local trails this fall. Teaching an area where your student is showing an interest is important because they are going to connect with the material. It also gives you a clue into their development. It is important to consider development as well; you want to nourish these normal areas of growth.

Oak Meadow has some great cheat sheets on their website that will give you some idea as to what types of activities you should be offering. For example, if you have a pre-school to first grader they are naturally going to crave sand and water play. You need to provide this opportunity so that they can grow and develop in all areas of their motor skills and understanding of science. I like to think of knowledge like food; you want to put a balanced plate in front of your child, designed to meet his or her needs and then let them do the rest. While some memory work is important, you cannot force feed your child knowledge, he or she must learn to put the pieces together on their own.

Once I have chosen my books and materials for the year, I write in the important dates and holidays and then fill in my field trips. It is important to me to fill in my field trips before I plan my activities so that I can coordinate the themes and plan a reasonable framework of time.

Planning a Weekly Rhythm

Once I have filled in our field trips and holidays, I plan my weekly rhythm, keeping in mind that this isn't something you can actually plan. A rhythm is something you fall into but if you don't have some sort of plan then you might fall into an unproductive rhythm, so plan it anyway. I know that we stay home on most Mondays and that the kids are naturally slower on these days so Monday is usually cleaning and station day. I like to give them fun work at their own pace stations on Monday. Tuesday is usually a heavy work day. I plan science experiments, reading assignments and new math material on Tuesdays. Tuesday is the day my kids are most alert and focused. Wednesday is usually another station day with written assignments. Thursday is often a craft station day. I might rotate them through three or four craft activities ranging from math to science to social studies on a Thursday and Friday is field trip day. We are ready to get out of the house on Friday.

I try to set up my week so that they are ready to apply what they have learned in conjunction with whatever field trip we might have planned. Sometimes this plan might play out in a different order, for example one week last fall we were studying food chain economics so we went on a trip to the wholesaler on Tuesday and canned and preserved fruit throughout the week. Finally, I add crafts, kitchen projects and science experiments to my calendar two weeks at a time as I know what pantry supplies will be available to us and how our time is going to actually play out. I use a secret Pinterest board to collect the craft and activities ideas that I want to use each semester so I can refer back to this board on a two week basis. I just started doing this and I love it.

You may also enjoy reading Choosing an Exciting Math Curriculum
and 10 Must Have Homeschool Supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.