Friday, August 9, 2013

Making Pictures in the Brain

memory pictures
Memory is Made Up of Pictures in the Brain
We have spent most of our week preparing to officially begin the school year and getting caught up on our summer canning. I will be posting about our adventure of canning grape juice over at Considering frugal if anyone is interested in home canning. My girl is learning about emergency preparedness and sustainability a little more in depth this year so helping with the canning has become part of her school work. So then, that leads me back to the topic or soap box that I have been standing on this week and somewhat last week too. Children and adults learn through creativity. Sometimes that means creative play or just creating in general. I wanted to give you some more ideas on the purpose of teaching and how memory is sparked by creativity. It is kind of heavy material but I promise it is really important information to give your homeschooler a head start in the world. I am going to try and make it as readable as possible so here we go.

What Memory Is

Memory is stored representations of perceptions of objects and events; pictures in the brain if you will. So then to construct or reconstruct these stored pictures is often as simple as a memory task performance. Mental imagery is the process by which one sees, manipulates, imagines and stores images in the brain likewise attention is identified as focusing on the details of a piece of information. The process of making pictures. While mental imagery and the task of attention may seem separate they are one in the same and it is by this process that mental imagery becomes productive. As emotion is attached to a mental image it becomes solidified being stored as an event in long term memory. So then, in order to teach a new topic, you need to make a memory and make it a fun memory. Help your child make a picture in their head that they will want to pull out and look at again and again. I saw a picture of homemade grape juice on Pinterest last week. I remembered the smell of my grandma's kitchen and how sweet the taste of the juice was. I instantly pulled up the recipe and called my little girl into the kitchen to help. She wasn't excited at first, but I explained my memory to her and as she began to help she got excited and she has spent the last twenty four hours talking about how much fun we had and in the process she learned food science.

Help Them File the Bad Pictures Too

Conversation between parents and children reconstructing past negative events to reflect positive outcomes, events such as failing to win a race nevertheless persisting to the finish line, resulted in a higher number of positive autobiographical memory construction or positive mental pictures on the part of the child involved. Furthermore, research has concluded that mental pictures of events has a more significant impact on emotion than does verbal representation of an event. We can't just ignore the negative pictures, they still hold significance. In fact, these negative pictures will change every memory along the way like a bad computer virus if we don't address them. As an event occurs one visualizes the situation through one’s unique perception attaching emotion all along the way. When the retrieval process ensues said memory is retrieved through emotional attachment with imagery following. It is much in this same way that mental imagery functions as one imagines a future event in full detail attaching real emotions by which the event will be retrieved for later use such as in the case of improving one’s golf swing. Mental recall often involves self relevant information that is more imagery based as opposed to verbal, remembering the past bears much significance on imagining the future successfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.