Friday, July 5, 2013

Teaching Kids to Be frugal

teaching kids to be frugal
Are Your Kids frugal?
Proud mama alert! My girl came home from camp last week for the second year in a row with money in her pocket, which she immediately and voluntarily handed over to my husband to put back in the family bank account. What a frugal and responsible young lady she has become. How did she come home with money in her wallet? By shopping wisely and saving money at camp! Yep, a 10 year old girl saving money. Can you believe it? For two years in a row she has saved $15 on the price of a camp t-shirt by choosing last years logo. She even came home with an extra for her little brother the first year. Her little brother who thinks the secret to reducing the nations credit card debt is at the Dollar Tree by the way. She also chooses to eat the snacks in her backpack and the food on her plate instead of spending all her money on candy and soda. She makes wise choices. I can't take full credit for this, God gifted her with a smart brain, but we have purposed to teach her wise and frugal spending and here is how...

We Teach Our Kids to Shop

We take our children to the grocery, the farmers market and the wholesaler with us, and while this may seem counter productive at first, it teaches them about cost of goods and how much we get for a dollar.

By taking them to the grocery with us, it gives us the opportunity to teach them to wait for items they want to go on sale or until we have a little extra to spend. It also helps them to understand their own wants and needs. If you get home and forget about that box of Teddy Grahams before you go back you probably didn't really want it to begin with.

We shop around for the best deal, even at Christmas and we include the kids in the process. I remember one year my daughter wanted an American Girl doll for Christmas and we seriously considered buying a real one, but as we shopped around on the web and she saw the difference in price between a real American Girl doll and a similar collectible doll, she voluntarily said, "I would rather have the lower priced one, it looks the same." We don't put our Christmas shopping on a credit card by the way, nor do we take out a loan. We set a budget and limit our spending with careful shopping and homemade gifts.

We Teach Our Kids About Value

We teach our children about product value. There are some products that are worth the extra money because they are well made and last longer. We talk about this.

We talk about ethical companies and marketing. Is that toy on the screen really going to do what the commercial says it will? Or will it be a waste of money? How does that company make their product and where do they spend the money?

Finally, although we don't give them a regular allowance, we do allow them to earn a few dollars here and there so they can learn how hard a dollar can be to earn and how quickly it can go.

In the end, I am proud to say that my kids are not only frugal but reserved. They don't ask for the same things that other kids do. Oh, they still ask for things on every isle, but in the end, when the dollar is in their wallet, they make wise choices.

One finale tip: Let kids get involved in planning their birthday party. You may even want to read frugal Birthday Parties.

You may also like, Teaching Kids Sustainability.

4 comments:

  1. Great advice! Hugs, Holly
    http://coconutheadsurvivalguide.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. TY Holly! You are quite an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo important for littles to learn frugality! I'd love for you to link this post at this week's Pinterest Power Party!! Hope you have a terrific Thursday!

    Danielle
    http://www.sewmuchcrafting.com/2013/07/pinterest-power-party_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Danielle! I'll stop by and check out the party later today. :)

    ReplyDelete

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.