Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Recipes that Heal


recipes that heal
Vegan Split Pea Soup
 
Last week I wrote a popular post on foods that heal and not long after my hubby had surprise surgery. So, we are in healing mode around here. I thought it would be great if I could share some of my best healing recipes with you today. These are two of our go to menu items. Split pea soup, is a food we eat when we are recovering from an illness and occasionally on a weeknight to prevent. We drink honey sweet tea flavored with herbal tea every day of the year to prevent allergies and stomach problems. I am posting the vegan version of my split pea soup but if you like you can add ham, it is popular both ways around here.

Vegan Split Pea Soup
 
2 peeled and sliced carrots (we like silver dollars)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 half medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
11/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bag split peas
6 cups water
 
In a large stockpot warm olive oil and sweat vegetables. Rinse split peas and set aside. Once vegetables are transparent, add water and peas stirring immediately. Bring to a low boil and reduce to simmer stirring occasionally. The soup will cook for about an hour or longer until it is a smooth texture and you will probably need to add a cup of water toward the end. Some people like to puree their split pea soup but we like it chunky. You can puree it in a blender if you like.

Healing Honey Sweet Tea
 

 Healing Honey Sweet Tea
 
4 Family Size Bags Decaffeinated Louisiana Tea
3 Regular Size Bags Celestial Seasonings Peach Chamomile or Blueberry, or any other flavor you choose. We like the blueberry blend because it supports lung health and the chamomile because it is calming.
1 cup organic local honey, honey balances the acid in the stomach and prevents allergies. You will need to adjust the amount of honey according to the moisture content of your honey. Thicker honey is sweeter.
 
Simmer the tea on the stove in water and add the honey to the bottom of a gallon pitcher. When the tea is strong like coffee, strain it into the pitcher to melt the honey, stir and add water to fill up the pitcher.
 
 Here is a link to the original article Cooking with Foods That Heal.

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8