Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Finding Foods to Home Can

home canning
Canning Rescued Produce
 
Now that I am getting a little more versed at home canning I don't know if I can wait until January. January is citrus season in Arizona and my neighbors and husbands coworkers shower us with lemons, grapefruit and oranges. I had no idea that there were so many things that you could do with citrus. I am just dying to make lemon curd, it looks just like the lemon pudding that my mom used to send in my lunchbox. I am also wondering why I never thought of home canning grapefruit juice.

Can in Season

Start with seasonal fruits and vegetables and research recipes that appeal to your taste buds. If your neighbor has an olive, fig or orange tree, don't be afraid to ask if you can pick. Most homeowners will be more than happy to share, as it saves them the trouble of landscapers. You may also find that someone at church or school is willing to make a trade, perhaps you have lemons and they have grapefruit? Make a trade.

Find a You Pick Orchard

We had the most fun at a local you pick apple orchard and I can't wait to go again. There are farms and orchards in every part of the country that are set up for open picking. You sometimes pay a picking fee and other times you pay per pound for what you pick, either way they are a better deal over the grocery store and the produce is better too.

rescued pears
Find a Wholesaler

Rescued Produce

We have a local coop in town that offers boarder rescued produce for a fraction of the cost. This produce is often a little over ripe and very unsightly however it makes great canned goods. The last time I purchased rescued produce I bought 60 pounds of tomatoes and zucchini for $10. I was able to can that produce right away and we had enough tomato sauce for a year. It was a great deal.

Some other ways I have found great produce for canning are by shopping wholesalers, coops and watching the local farmer's market ads. Local farmers markets and grocery stores will usually have one produce item marked down to a ridiculous price every week and that is the item I can that week. If it is a screaming deal and I have cans, you can bet I'm going to buy extra and put it back. I also found a local wholesaler that will sell to the public through word of mouth. I have to buy by the case but when I can afford it it is a great deal. Finally, I have had some good experiences with coops but lately I have found them to be a hassle. When I used them, they were a good deal usually offering a laundry bucket of produce for $15 to $25 dollars.

You may also like Rescued Produce Makes Great Canned Goods or Getting Started Home Canning.

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8