Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Duck Dynasty: What the Robertson’s Know about Green Living and Sustainability

Duck Dynasty and Green Living
What the Robertson's Know
Do you watch it??? Do you watch Duck Dynasty? …if you don’t you really don’t know what you are missing. And after all the laughter has died, the real lessons learned are about life, love and family sustainability. The Robertson family are the real life characters of A&E’s reality show Duck Dynasty, for those of you who don’t know. The Robertson’s know more about sustainability than the whole of American culture. I could sit here and think of more, but for now here are 8 things the Robertson’s know about frugal living and sustainability…

1 Harness the Power of the Mason Jar
If you watch the show, you see a lot of mason jars…the funny thing is, I caught myself drinking from one just the other day. Mason jars are not only great for canning your own produce, which I believe Miss Kay does often, mason jars double as both tableware and Tupperware providing see through storage to keep your refrigerator organized.
2 Harness the Power of the Casserole
I can only remember one episode of Duck Dynasty where the Roberson’s ate out…they picked up a slushy and ate a few hundred donuts (it was a contest, Uncle Si won a motor home..now that’s sustainable living). Anyway, make a casserole, fry some catfish…eat at home.
3 Harness the Power of Natural Resources
The Robertson Family lives off the land. In fact, their whole business is built around living off the land. If it's in season they eat it. Duck, crayfish, berries and honey…The Robertson Family knows how to hunt and grow their own food…do you?
4 Harness the Power of Living below Your Means
I was actually quite appalled by the realtor in the episode where Phil and Kay were talked into shopping for a new house. Although they could afford any mansion they could dream of, they are happy happy happy in a small home where they have fond family memories without a mortgage payment or credit card debt.
5 Harness the Power of Using the Resources You Have
If it isn’t broke, don’t replace it. Use whatever it is until it falls apart and when you replace it, buy it used and avoid a loan payment. If your boat sinks to the bottom of a swamp, make your kids fish it out and use it some more.
6 Harness the Power of a College Degree
The Robertson’s might not sound educated but in reality, most have college degrees and several members have graduate degrees. That is what it takes to run a successful family empire and that is what they have done. Phil and Kay Robertson have successfully encouraged their children to read the Bible and go to college a college degree is often at the core of sustainable living.
7 Harness the Power of Donation
The Robertson Family clearly has enough money to donate to whatever cause they want, but they don’t get lazy and stop there…They still donate of their time to charity. They cook food, build festival booths, play Santa and adopt babies…again living, growing and sustaining a family and a community.
8 Harness the Power of Family
The Robertson’s know how to build a sustainable family. They eat together, work together, pray together and play together. No matter how crazy they appear to be on TV, the reality is, they have built a successful family business and they still love each other enough to want to be in business together and still spend the rest of the day together. That is family sustainability.

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post about the Robertsons. You made some great points, and I think it's those basic truths about the family that make them so loveable & watchable. Sure, they're funny - but that's what they do, not who they are...

    Kim @ {enjoy the view}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kim! The Robertson's are silly but they have also touched our lives many times. In fact, I will be writing a more personally post about that sometime later this week or next. Some of the things they do is just common sense. Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love the Robertson's, they are the first reality family that shows what being a family truly is all about.
    Karri @ my life's a treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Karri! Thank you for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article!! We love Duck Dynasty and my boys (ages 11, 9, and 8) want to be just like John Luke. I don't have a family backing like Phil and Kay to back up the things that should be important in life while I raise my kids, but by golly I aspire to be them, in every way possible and I can only pray that my husband and I are half the parents Phil and Kay are! Such a great role model family overall! {The fun times with Uncle Si are just a bonus!!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. We find them quite inspirational as well and I love that it is paired with plenty of humor. Thank you so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love Duck Dynasty. Great article. I think the sense of family is one of my
    favorite traits. Nothing like family.
    Have a great weekend,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard a lot about Duck Dynasty, but have never had a chance to watch it. I love what you wrote about the Robertsons and want to watch an episode now. Family is so important.

    Pinned it! Thanks for sharing this with us at One Sharendipity Place this weekend!

    Krys @thet2women.com and www.worshipingwhilewaiting.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Bev and Krystle, I recommend watching Duck Dynasty on a day when A&E is have a marathon...you won't want to stop you will be laughing so hard and they are truly a sweet family to boot. FYI the new season starts August 14. Thank you so much for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.