Saturday, July 27, 2013

Cooking with Foods that Heal

Cooking with Foods that Heal
Cooking with Foods that Heal
 
About five years ago now, my husband began having severe stomach problems that stemmed from a virus he picked up from an infected water source. Although the virus had to be treated with antibiotics, the doctor gave him a strict dietary regimen and told him that if he did not stick to it, the problems that the virus created would return. While we are thankful for modern medicine, we also recognize that much of our health problems begin and end with diet, so I immediately began to research what foods are known to heal the stomach. We not only avoided the list that the doctor gave him but we also added these foods to our diet and within a few weeks he had made substantial progress toward healing. Now that we incorporate these foods into our normal menu, meaning I add at least one to every meal I cook, he virtually has no problems with his stomach and he is able to cheat and eat foods from the "do not eat" list on occasion without any problems.
 
Some of the foods I added to our daily menu were Apples, Honey, Celery and Parsley. It is best if the skin remains on the apples because it is the pectin in the apples that heals the stomach. Parsley and celery are both healing in that they provide a sort of natural indigestion relief and Honey not only contains B vitamins but it is pH balanced which helps to reduce the amount of acid in the stomach.

We also cook with plenty of garlic and onion, these purify the blood stream and aid in digestion, however I cook with dried garlic and dried minced onion. Fresh garlic, onion and peppers are all too difficult for an already damaged stomach to  handle.

Some foods we still try to avoid are white vinegar, peanuts, fried foods, white potatoes, store bought tomatoes and white sugar. These are all foods that multiply the acid in the stomach. I don't think you will be surprised that we found that organic and home canned tomatoes are often very tolerable. They appear to be lower in acid. Although many people have found digestive healing by eating pineapple, we have found that this aggravates his particular condition.

Finally, we drink quite a bit of herbal tea sweetened with organic local honey. I especially like peach chamomile and blueberry from Celestial Seasonings. The Peach blend is very calming and the blueberry blend is good for both brain and lung health and the flavors are a big hit too. We have found that this blueberry tea blend along with the honey has reduced our allergies considerably.

You may also want to read Making Your Home an Allergy Free Zone.

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8