Monday, July 29, 2013

Canning Pears

slow cooker pear butter
Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Butter
I spent my morning canning pears that I bought on sale at Sprouts this weekend. Canning pears is incredibly simple. I make pear butter and apple butter in my Crock pot to ensure the best flavor. Here is the recipe.

Slow Cooker Spiced Pear Butter
 
Fresh Pears (Enough to fill the Crock pot)
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Cup Florida Crystals
 
Peel and quarter pears and put them in the Crock pot; add spices and sugar and give a good stir. Cook on low for about a day. I cook the pears until I can easily mash them and then I cook them until the butter is thick like butter. Next I sterilize my canning jars in water and fill the jars with the pear butter. I process the filled jars for 10 minutes. This butter makes the house smell so yummy we can hardly stand it.
 
canned pears
Home Canned Pears
 
Canned sliced pears are also very popular at our house. They take a bit more preparation but they are worth the work. I start by sterilizing my jars and making my syrup on the stove. For my syrup I mix three cups water with three teaspoons Fruit Fresh and 1/2 cup Florida Crystals. You will want to judge the Florida Crystals by taste, we like light syrup and for a more natural alternative you can use fresh lemon juice instead of Fruit Fresh. I bring the liquid to a boil and cook it until the sugar is dissolved. Now working with a few pears at a time I peel and quarter the pears and stuff them in the jars making sure to fill each jar with the hot syrup in a timely manner so the fruit doesn't turn brown. Finally I process the filled jars in a hot water bath of boiling water for 20 minutes.

You may also want to read Getting Started with Home Canning.

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8