Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Refurbished/repurposed jewelry boxes

 
I recently repurposed two old jewelry boxes as organizers and I am so pleased with the outcome that I am thinking of stopping by Goodwill to look for some more.  These first two repurposed jewelry boxes cost me nothing as both were dumpster rescues that I refurbished with left-over craft paints and gems.
Jewelry box number one was originally repurposed for my daughter's rock collection which has grown so large that now the jewelry box houses her shell collection and we are in the market for a new rock box.  The inside was already lined with velvet, I simply painted over the spots on the outside and embellished it with glitter paint and bits of left-over gems.

For repurposed box number two...I enforced the broken sides with white duct tape (they even have pink now) and embellished it with stickers.  I use it to house her beads and jewelry making supplies.  If you don't have hopes of finding an outcast late 70's model jewelry box in your neighborhood then visit the local thrift store where you are sure to stumble upon a low priced outcast.




Apparently we are not alone in our project because I found lots of other examples on the web...







No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffers from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, I have decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family can do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea, so that should be interesting to see. Thankfully my husband and daughter are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I will be looking for ways that I can reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.