Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Buying Local Honey is Considering frugal

Local Honey
Buying Local Honey is Considering frugal
 
The one product that we cannot live without in our home is.....Local Honey!  We buy our honey in bulk from a local farmer and time stands still when we run out.  Although honey is non perishable, we never seem to be able to store up enough because it is useful in so many ways.  Oh let me count the ways! 

1. Local honey helps many people with allergies including my family.  When you purchase local honey it means that the bees are pollinated in the state where you live and therefore you will be getting some of that bee pollen in your system by eating this local honey.  We started purchasing local honey for this reason alone about a year ago.  The whole family used to take allergy tablets twice daily, now there is no need.  As long as we have our local honey we are immune to most allergies.

2.  Speaking of immunity, honey is high in B vitamins, minerals and digestive enzymes so we have found that our immunity has improved greatly as well.

3.  Oh but there is more!  When you buy raw local honey the quality of nutrition and digestive enzymes is even greater not to mention the taste!  Oh the taste is so yummy.  If you like a spicy flavor go for Clover, if you like your honey more mild, wildflower and Orange Blossom is great for teas.

4.  We bake with honey.  You can substitute half the amount of sugar with honey and then add 1/4 cup liquid.  Honey is especially good in sweet tea and banana bread.

5.  Honey makes an excellent facial mask; clears those blackheads right out and aids as a natural astringent.

Precautions with honey:

There are some precautions that you should take with honey, the most important being NEVER GIVE HONEY to a child under a year old.  I personally never give my babies honey until they are 2 years old just to be safe.  Remember those natural enzymes I talked about earlier, well those can produce a type of bacteria that can multiply too quickly in infants.  Giving honey to an infant can cause death.  Don't give your baby honey!

6.  Buying local honey supports your local farmer, your local economy and your local eco system!  Buying honey in bulk saves waste.  We buy our local honey by the gallon and not only do we save a great deal of cash but we also have left over jars to use as storage canisters.

7.  Finally, honey is non perishable which means that it is a great food to have in storage.  John the baptist survived the desert on nothing but honey and locust, you could do it too if you had to!  Anyway, if you carefully examine honey at the grocery you will see that it does have an expiration date, however that date is simply there to comply with Food and Drug regulations.  Honey does not expire.  It does crystallize and when it does you simply need to heat it up until it becomes liquid again.

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. Any sponsors or advertisers are independent of this blog.