Monday, September 13, 2010

Saving Money on Groceries

saving money on groceries
Tips for Saving Money on Groceries
 
Using up leftovers and clipping coupons are practical ways to save on groceries but here are a few more tips you may want to try.

Serve Breakfast for Dinner

Serving breakfast for dinner one night a week can put a small dent in your grocery bill.  On the average breakfast cost $1 - $3 per head while dinner is closer to $4 - $ 12.  Bacon and eggs, fried potatoes, grits, pancakes and sausage or waffles are all low cost alternatives to dinner and serving breakfast for dinner can be a lot of fun too.

Soup Supper

Serve Soup once a week for supper or even once every two weeks.  Soup is a great alternative year round and there are some really yummy ones such as Chicken Tortilla, or Clam Chowder.  Having a chili supper with fresh corn bread on the side will do the trick too.

Try the Pantry Challenge

There is a new trend called the Pantry Challenge.  People who have stocked their pantry pretty well are seeing how long they can eat off what is in the pantry without going to the grocery.  Some go so far as to use powdered milk while others make exceptions for fresh milk and produce but what ever the case I have heard that it does work for some.

Casseroles

Learn to make casseroles and you will stretch your groceries and save money.  Casseroles in general are usually very filling, use less expensive ingredients as well as less meat per serving.  Casseroles are a great way to save money.

More Tips

  1. Always shop with a list.
  2. Don't shop around too much.  If you stick to one low cost store you will learn their sales.
  3. Try Coops and U Pick Farms to save on Produce.
  4. Pair Coupons with Store Ads for the lowest price.
  5. Buy in bulk but price check first, bulk isn't always best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8