Tuesday, February 2, 2010

day two and we are already learning how to reduce that carbon footprint

Day Two:

Not so bad; I found two more eco friendly products in my house, shampoo and Purex laundry soap. I ended the day with less than 1/3 of a tall kitchen garbage can full of garbage; this alone is quite an accomplishment considering we usually have a bag every day or two.

We planted green beans on the porch and fertilized them with used coffee grounds.

...made bread crumbs out of day old bread and stored it in the freezer; this may seem like overkill but it actually serves two purposes. For one it saves buying bread crumbs in one more container from the grocery store. I also learned today that the garbage disposal is not as eco friendly as one might think. Although the waste does get broken down, the garbage from disposals is putting an unrealistic toll on many of our water treatment plants.

We saved energy by heating up chicken nuggets on the George instead of in the oven; I already had the George hot and thought an experiment was in order. They were still crispy, unlike the microwave.

We cleaned and saved 5 aluminum cans and 3 yogurt containers for future craft projects; one milk jug with which we will make a flower watering can tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I became Considering frugal

Fueled by the growing list of pollution related allergies my family suffered from each day and inspired by my 97 year old grandmother who could recycle ANYTHING before recycling was cool, back in 2011, I decided (in the spirit of the Julie/Julia Project...) to embark on a journey to see just how much one family could do to change our planet. I did not consult any other parties before I launched this idea. Thankfully my husband, daughter and son are usually my biggest supporters. Here is the catch; as I am normally very thrifty (you can note from early blog posts), I was looking for ways that I could reduce our carbon footprint and make socially responsible purchases without increasing our spending. Mmmmmm. I did succeed in changing our habits a bit and finding ways to reduce our footprint. There were lots of fun epic fails alone the way too! But the biggest change we have made over the course of the last six years, was to move from the mega city of Phoenix to Wyoming where we are about to take an even bigger step and move out on a dirt road in the country where we can expand our hobby bees and more! You can read my full bio on my About Me page.

Legal Disclaimer

While it is true that I am working on a PHD in Psychology and very smart and frugal, I am not a medical doctor, criminal, personal or accident lawyer. I do not sell insurance nor am I an accountant or mortgage advisor. While some of my posts may offer good ideas on home, health and business solutions, I am not personally responsible nor is Considering frugal for any advice, ideas, recipes or menu plans that you decide to use. This blog is intended to be helpful and fun. Any products you purchase from my Amazon store or any other retailer advertised on my blog must be returned to them. I may sometimes endorse a product that I love. This is simply my opinion, you must try all products at your own risk. While I personally do not use tracking cookies or share information, my affiliates are third parties and they may do so. Please click, travel and purchase at your own risk.

frugal advice

"...for your Father knows what you need before you ask." Matthew 6:8